Floor base advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been granted long term use of a stable /livestock shelter that I can convert to a workshop.
The floor is substantial concrete but has no dpc.
The damp causes condensation to drip from the tin roof on a humid day.

The obvious ideal would be to dig up the floor and start again with a membrane down but thats too involved for my timescale at the moment.

A membrane and a thin screed would be the next alternative however the ceiling hight is already on the limit of usability so I dont need any more elevation.

What to do?

I thought about a bitumen paint then some cheap ceramic floortiles that I already have.
Or bitumen, battens and flooring chipboard,maybe with some 1/2" foil kingspan-cellotex underneath

Prerequisites are low cost readily available materials that have a low profile.

Any advance on that?

Sponsored Links
Feb (normally available at local builders merchants) do a polymer version "Febseal" which is often used by the trade, if it doesn't work I'd be very surprised. follow that with a foam plastic 3mm underlay and plywood taped at the joints. This is both cheap and practical, you could upgrade (spend more money) by laying a waterproof screed if the floor is very uneven, otherwise I would simply cut and fit extra insulation to low areas prior to the ply floor...pinenot :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back