Floor bolts showing on new external double door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 130617 View attachment 130616 I've had a new external double door fitted but I question whether both the slave door and main bolts which go into the floor threshold, should be visible from the outside. The upper bolt goes into a top frame which is not visible. The company said this is normal. I'm thinking a weather guard strip or something should be installed to hide if not some other lower frame. Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
The open in to the hall way. I know what you are thinking - if there is anything lower covering the bolts it would hit the threshold stop when opening the door inwards...but I'm sure I have seen double doors which dont show bolts like this, esp on an external door.

on my front door, I have a hardwood water bar on the sill to take up most of the gap to the bottom of the door, and a hardwood weatherbar on the bottom of the door, which obscures the eyeline (as well as throwing off rainwater) sp yopu can't see the gap.

it's the waterbar on the sill that has to be planed or packed to a nice close fit. It matches the sill so looks OK. I suppose you could use a furry draught excluder on the bottom of the door as well.

I presume you are going to fit a hardwood sill, matching the doors?

Sponsored Links
Any chance of sending a photo of your door during day light for me to visualise what you wrote? If you didn't have the hardwood water bar, are you saying you would be able to see the bolts? Would this be a security risk?

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this as I told them I didnt want a cill as we would have steps outside...bad mistake. I'm not sure what Im going to do at the moment once the threshold has been cemented under the door.

It does look a bit wrong, looks like that's the inside, or just bad design.
Is it a low threshold for wheelchair access?
What have they used as packers under the door?

It must be me but I thought at first it was a joke post.

Finish the floor then then redo the threashold properly. (Can be the other way around depending on the detail) Huge gap between door leafs, why?
Who is responsible for the door threshold, the door people or the floor layer what was specified?
What will go up to the threashold from outside ?

The inside has not been finished yet, still a building site. We allowed for another 30mm to cover 12mm tiles, adhesive, ditra mat etc.
Yes we wanted a low threshold for potentially wheel chair access.

Obviously, if the doors open inwards, then the door has to clear them, and if you want easy wheelchair access, then the inner and out levels should be the same, so the outside is going to need to be raised once the inner level has been done, and this should hide the bolts. Weather draught strips will need fitting to the bottom of the doors, and you'll want a slope outside to make sure water drains away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back