Floor framing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So, the Aim of the Game is to build a 6.6*4.6 Garden Office – timber-framed, off block piers.

I thought I knew what I was doing, then had a look on YouTube and got myself confused!

This guy made something 6.5*5 by breaking it into six equal size boxes (obv. about 2*2.5 each). He first screwed the joists to the headers, braced the boxes diagonally to square them up, and tied them all together by adding an additional external header. Then he went back and added hangers to the screwed joists. And bolted it all down.

The fact that almost every timber in sight is doubled – and that he uses needle-nose pliers to hold the nails – makes me thing this approach is a little over-complicated……

My own idea had been to set out the four sides, hang joists at 600mm centres, and square up with noggins. And then angle-bracket/bolt it all to the piers. Too simple?!

I can see benefits to his approach if I was in a factory. But, as I am in my garden, it would seem easier to be to build in-place and not create something I cannot lift…….

Let the flaming begin…..

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back