floor gets damp at base of upvc door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys....i fitted a brand new upvc kitchen door...fitted it perfectly and sealed it from the outside and the inside...the door was about an inch to small from the ground....so i mixed some screed and cement and rested the door on that...perfect..i thought...now when it rains the inside of my kitchen gets damp...ive checked the seals, weather bar etc...water is not coming from there....i think it may be the screed and cement that i mixed ?...is this suitable for the outside ?...is it porous ?....shall i remove that and try sand/gravel and cement ?....need to sort this before i tile the floor..any ideas..ta

Sponsored Links
Need more info - but

Is the frame of the door at least two brick courses above the path/patio or what ever you have outside?

Is there a damp proof course laid in under the door frame

Sounds to me like the bottom of the frame is too close to the ground and the water is able to transfer into the kitchen from the outside

here are e some pics.
DSC01029.jpg

DSC01027.jpg

DSC01028.jpg

Sponsored Links
you will never prevent the ingress of water till you address the fact that you have part of your floor slab protruding into the street!

chop back the floor, lay a couple of courses of bricks, re-hash the floor slab and dpm and fit a stub sill to the door.

ok guys cheers....removed all the screed mix...mixed up some building sand and cement...filled the gap underneath....just waiting for rain now...lol..shudnt be very long mind you. :LOL:....by the way its not leading into the street its the back door leading to my garden...cant really do more then what ive done...

Agree totally with noseall you can even see the damp proof membrane of the floor slab protruding to the outside!

Very bad workmanship im sorry to say and carried out with no knowledge of building

actually that damproof course has served me well for the last 22 years...its got nowt to do with that...i removed the mix that i had from under the door frame (ie screed and cement) and refilled with builders sand and cement problem solved...no dampness getting in now...it appears that flooring screed is not for outdoor use...lets water through due the porous nature of it....anyway...thanks guys problem sorted..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back