Floor height decision

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am currently building an extension and need to decide what finished floor height I go for. The room is going to be an open plan kitchen/diner with suspended wooden floor in the original house and concrete slab in the extension.

The dilemma I have is that I want to fit a solid wood floor which will transition both floors and a travertine tile floor with electric underfloor heating which will also be laid on both floors.....and to add complication, I want a level, almost seamless transition between wood and tile! I hope that makes sense?!

What would be the best way to lay both types of floor and how can I work out levels etc?

Any help would be appreciated.....I'm struggling to know what would be best.

7d

Sponsored Links
I don't really see the dilemma, your existing floor with all of its final finishes sets your finished floor level throughout, everything else is worked out using that level as your constant. :confused:

I don't really see the dilemma, your existing floor with all of its final finishes sets your finished floor level throughout, everything else is worked out using that level as your constant. :confused:

That was my initial thought but then the fixing method of both floors is different on floorboards and screed. I thought about covering everything with plywood and nailing the wood flooring but wasn't sure how to then get the height right with the tiles.

Would it be best to fit the wood with the nail on plywood method which would raise the floor by 1.5", then tile up to that height?

My dilemma was that I wondered if I should drop the screed by 18mm and just ply over that level with the floor boards, or drop by 75mm and fit batterns and floor boards (may be a crazy idea)! Or nail the flooring on the floor boards and then glue on the slab.......

Seems I have been thinking too much!

Work out the exact floor make-up of your three separate floors. Once you know that you can work it out. Usually you can just increase or decrease screeds of batten sizes to end up at the same level whilst keeping your new slab at the same level.

Sponsored Links
Installing a solid wood floor in an open kitchen/diner is not a good idea, too much risk of the higher humidity (cooking, washing) to expand the wood floor.
Better option would be to switch to wood-engineered flooring here

Installing a solid wood floor in an open kitchen/diner is not a good idea, too much risk of the higher humidity (cooking, washing) to expand the wood floor.
Better option would be to switch to wood-engineered flooring here

I suppose that would allow underfloor heating throughout too. There's just something that has always put me off the engineered stuff....must be a traditionalist or something but I like the thought of solid.

It is a big space so wouldn't have thought humidity would be too bad, good ventilation too.

Would engineered offer me more options regarding fitting and be easier over two different sub floors? I don't like the feeling that I have had when I've walked on friends engineererd floors that I guess have been floating and they tend to bounce and could be laminate!

Your advice is very much appreciated :D

You can install most wood-engineered floors on UFH (do read our start-up steps)

Even though yours is a larger area, there will be - at times - higher humidity which will influence the workings of wood. Wood-engineered is the better option.

Besides, more and more manufacturers are switching from solid boards to wood-engineered boards: fewer hardwood trees and fewer complaints!

The choices in Wood-engineered flooring are constantly increasing. As with everything, the result is depending on quality boards, quality underlayment (if applicable) and correct installation.

One reason your friends' floor feels bouncy could be the unlevel underfloor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back