Floor height transition ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am considering adding ceramic floor tiles to my kitchen over the existing quarry tiles.

This will add about 12mm to the height of the floor.

What do most people do to accommodate the change in height at the entrance to the kitchen from the adjoining room?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Trip Over

Sorry pressed enter by mistake.
What i have done is put down a strip of chamfered wood on edge.

If you do much tiling you would know just how hard they are to remove when they are cemented down in 1926 !

Hence my desire to tile over them.

Tony

Sponsored Links
If you do much tiling you would know just how hard they are to remove when they are cemented down in 1926 !

Tony

If i do much tiling, ha ha ha
I have been tiling since leaving school in 1978, yes they will be fixed solidly but my post said " to do it correctly"

Tony

If i do much tiling, ha ha ha
I have been tiling since leaving school in 1978, yes they will be fixed solidly but my post said " to do it correctly"

Now Now no bickering.
Yes proper job is to remove old tiles but if you are trying to live there,family around ect ect,a lot of mess dust etc ect ect. :)

Its more of a problem of a lot of hard work!

Then leaving a rough surface!

Tony

That looks a good idea.

Does anyone know hom many mm from one floor to the other?

Tony

I think it says up to 20 mm. I would shop around, this link was just the first I found. For my bathroom-landing threshold I bought similar thing from B&Q. One side covers the edge of the tiles in the bathroom, the other is a pricky grip for the carpet on the landing. There are various trims in the shops.

It says it caters for 20mm height differences.

But I am wondering how wide it is so what angle will it present with a 20mm height difference.

Tony

It says it caters for 20mm height differences.

But I am wondering how wide it is so what angle will it present with a 20mm height difference.

Tony

they are approx 1 - 1 1/2" wide, i dont know what you have on the other floor, wether its carpet, laminate etc, but they cater for 20mm, which means the gap is 20mm deep, so if you have say a carpet, when its fitted into the trim there is still going to be a gap between top of carpet and inside lip of thresh, most people fit them then press down to close gap on other floor BUT this does not look nice as you see a slopey brass thresh rather than level

Its just boards at the moment.

I may just paint them white for the moment.

Tony

Its just boards at the moment.

I may just paint them white for the moment.

Tony

well depending on what floor covering you will be putting on the other floor the thresh may not look so bad at all, if carpet and possibly underlay or even laminate with the thin underlay,, will not leave a big gap, you may only have a gap of say 2-3 mm which is negligible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back