Laying floor tiles in kitchen, please help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to replace the horrible vinyl lino flooring in my parents kitchen with some ceramic tiles which we've already chosen.

The problem is that underneath the lino flooring are quarry tiles which were apparently fitted some 60 years ago, and haven't been removed since. They are not in very good condition and some of them have come a little loose. The kitchen units were fitted onto those quarry tiles.

What are my options? Ideally I'd like to remove the quarry tiles but is that even possible as the kitchen units have been fitted on top?
If it's not possible to remove them, what would I need to do in order to fit the new ceramic tiles on top of the quarry tiles?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It’s always advisable to remove existing tiles rather than tile over & this is what I always recommend; if the existing tiles are in poor condition, uneven or loose it’s even more important if you want the new tiles to look good & last. An option would be to refix any loose tiles & fill any voids with tile adhesive but it’s a bodge really. Another solution would be to remove them from the main floor area to a point just behind the existing kitchen unit plinth line; assuming there is a plinth. Depending on the thickness of tiles you chose & the state of the floor underneath you may need a self leveling screed to improve the tile base or make up any level difference; laying tile backer boards is also an option, depending on how much of a height difference you need to make up.

Neither is ideal as it could leave your parents or someone else with even more work due to difference in floor level when they come to replace the kitchen units.

Use quality trade adhesive/grout products, not cheapo DIY shed products.

Thanks.

I think I will remove the old tiles and see what the condition of the floor is like underneath. If it's damaged or uneven then I will probably use self levelling compound or screed.

If it's damaged or uneven then I will probably use self levelling compound or screed.
You can fill out the odd hole using cement tile adhesive but if it's extensive, use a self levelling compound. Conventional sand/cement screed should not be less than around 50mm thick & bonded screeds no less than 30mm; if you lay it too thin there is a big risk it will break up.

Sponsored Links
if they have been down for that length of time,you probally wont have a dpm under it.

so look into lifting it all then putting down a dpm then screed ontop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back