Floor in the coal bunker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The coal bunker which is set into the side of the house has a brick floor, laid straight onto the ground. Its been down for probably 98 years, but it has become uneven over the years. What I would like to do is to pour a self levelling screed or concrete over the whole area of approx 2.5 sq metres to create a flat floor so I can use it as a storage space. I'm satisfied that the bricks won't move so will provide a stable base.

Does anyone have any suggestions please as to how I can do this ?

Sponsored Links
Would it not be simpler just to remove bricks and lay a new concrete slab on DPM sheet. Then you wont loose any height, unless to want a step to prevent rain/water running in, then do same over top of bricks.

Thanks for the responses..

Yeah, guess I am just trying for a short cut to avoid the grubbing out and so on. The coal bunker is completely sheltered within a covered canopy so the floor is bone dry. Which is why I thought I might get away with just putting a self levelling compound on it.

I'll go along the lines of doing a proper slab then. This would also provide a nice base for the bricking up at the end where the current brick wall is set upon the same bricks that make up the floor at the moment.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back