Floor insulation and current regs

And check your spec, as normally insulation for fire is suspended in wire mesh, not just plonked on the ceiling board below.

Yes the architect recommended this but builder said we don't need it. Looked at regs and he might be right because we have 12.5mm plasterboard ceilings skimmed on bedrooms below, not that he explained that.

Sponsored Links
Might not need it to meet building regs, but if you asked for this to stop sound, and it is obviously noisy if you can hear people talking in the room below, then surely something needs to be done? Now is the time to fix it - you might regret otherwise.

OK so the conclusion seems to be the builder is a tool but hasn't actually broken regs. Using our old insulation means sound is awful and not great for retaining heat in rooms below.

Having spoken to a local flooring guy he thinks we can overcome this with a cork underlay 4mm as it's light and significantly reduces sound and heat loss. Then put normal underlay and carpet on top of the cork. If I tell builder to refund Rockwool on balance that will help towards cork cost.

This builder is awful and I really think he'd walk off the job rather than correct what he's done (or not done in this case).

Might not need it to meet building regs, but if you asked for this to stop sound, and it is obviously noisy if you can hear people talking in the room below, then surely something needs to be done? Now is the time to fix it - you might regret otherwise.[/QUOT

I agree but he has already said for another issue that floors are down and cannot come up. He said they are like a jigsaw and can't be moved now as walls done and skimmed etc. He literally doesn't care. I told him today I was worried about sound (he doesn't realise I know he hasn't used Rockwool) and he laughed and walked off.

Sponsored Links
OK so the conclusion seems to be the builder is a tool but hasn't actually broken regs. Using our old insulation means sound is awful and not great for retaining heat in rooms below.

Having spoken to a local flooring guy he thinks we can overcome this with a cork underlay 4mm as it's light and significantly reduces sound and heat loss. Then put normal underlay and carpet on top of the cork. If I tell builder to refund Rockwool on balance that will help towards cork cost.

This builder is awful and I really think he'd walk off the job rather than correct what he's done (or not done in this case).

If he is owed, more than the work remaining to do, plus the value of the insulation he ought to have done - let him walk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back