Regs for floor and roof insulation?

yes it is but I thought a possible future dwelling was now being discussed.As somebody has said SBEM for commercial,SAP for dwelling. That should put the cat among the pigeons :!:
Are the two fundamentally different out of curiosity? Like, trying to measure different things?

Sponsored Links
what is the proposed floor and roof construction , does anybody know :?: don't think it will be a 'timber raft' unless it is floating on water :!:
It's a typical suspended wooden floor i.e. not a solid concrete base. This is mounted on pilings so the whole 'raft' is 'floating' above the ground on 28 metal rods. I believe the 'raft' is 6x2" treated timber so I suppose there is up to 6" insulation space. Then flooring would be standard 22mm Weyroc or equivalent.

Roof: some sort of shingles on battens, factory spec has this panelled underneath but it's common to find space for insulation, with a slight re-jig to the design. I think up to 150mm is easy to get in, beyond that probably more modifications to get everything to fit together.

To answer the question you meant to ask: No you can't just insulate the roof and floor to a very high level to make up for sub par walls.

Sponsored Links
In a bit of a jump, what exactly is the point of regulations, to go to basics? The guy we talked to today from the council pretty much said (maybe he shouldn't) that they are really only relevant when it comes to selling a property,
You are right he shouldn't have said that. The point of building regulations is to ensure buildings are built to something like a decent standard which seems a good idea to me.

It's within our curtilage, a structure we will build in our garden, but may then allow a company to operate out of. Does that make it a commercial or residential property (there are no bedrooms)? Or both? It could later be used for something else.
what exactly have you got planning permission for ,what does it say on the consent notice :?:
The BC guy mentioned this but said he has no preference how we classify it.
strange thing for a BCO to say:!:

And even then getting a definitive idea what the regs says on each line isn't something anyone here knows
Nobody on here knows anything , and if they did you would only query their answer :D

To answer the question you meant to ask: No you can't just insulate the roof and floor to a very high level to make up for sub par walls.

Cant you just take 50mm insulation off the wall and stick it on the floor?

I mean its the same amount of insulation, right? (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back