Floor insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add some additional insulation to the concrete floors throughout the house. I need to use something which is pretty much incompressible and fairly thin (max 20mm), as I don't want to end up banging my head on the tops of the door frames when I've finished. A quick skim round on the web has come up with products such as Marmox boards and Cellecta Fix boards, which look pricey. Has anyone done anything similar and got any other suggestions that might be cheaper?

Sponsored Links
Need more info,

When you say concrete do you mean floor screed ?

Why do you want to add insulation on the floor ?

What will the top floor finish be ?

I've seen floor insulation which is basicly a layer of chipboard with a layer of dense foam/insulating material glued to the underside. This will provide insulation on concrete floors and also stop floorboards squeaking and better sound insulation if used upstairs.

I assume it's a concrete screed. The floors are fairly cold and I'm after a bit more thermal insulation.

I've seen the chipboard with insulation on the back - the problem is the thickness of it, a minimum of 43mm which puts me into head banging territory.

The top finish will vary - tiled in the bathroom, carpeted in the bedrooms, probably engineered board or laminate in the halls.

Sponsored Links
I worked at a place that used rolls of blue "packing foam" very much like polystyrene but a lot more flexible. It was about 2mm thick and if you are prepared to cover it with boards etc. I can highly recommend it, I used to use pieces under the tent groundsheet and it was lovely and warm, barefoot, first thing in the morn. Oh, and it was flame retardent.

have you thought about under floor heating for the tiles? bit expensive I know, fibreboard underlay for laminate floor, bog standard from topps or wherever, dont know if it would go under carpet but cant see why not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back