Floor Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm at the stage of my extension where I need to lay the floor insulation before doing the screed.

I currently have a concrete slab, which will have a DPM, then 100mm of PIR. The issue I have is that when I did the concrete slab, I didn't manage to get the surface completely flat. I could do with filling any voids under each insulation board so that it is fully supported.

I was originally planning on putting a thin layer of sand down, but because I don't want to increase the floor level any more, this would need to be extremely thin in places, and compacting this with a wacker onto a concrete slab might be a bit aggressive.

I was wondering if it is possible to stick each insulation board down with expanding foam adhesive, as I have done with the roof. This would fill any gaps and be much easier for me to do, but will this provide suitable support for the floor? I would think as long as I apply a decent amount then this should work, but can anyone suggest a reason why this is a bad idea?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Bit late now but I think the insulation usually goes under the slab.

You could try some self levelling to get the worst of the ditches out

I'm at the stage of my extension where I need to lay the floor insulation before doing the screed.

I currently have a concrete slab, which will have a DPM, then 100mm of PIR. The issue I have is that when I did the concrete slab, I didn't manage to get the surface completely flat. I could do with filling any voids under each insulation board so that it is fully supported.

I was originally planning on putting a thin layer of sand down, but because I don't want to increase the floor level any more, this would need to be extremely thin in places, and compacting this with a wacker onto a concrete slab might be a bit aggressive.

I was wondering if it is possible to stick each insulation board down with expanding foam adhesive, as I have done with the roof. This would fill any gaps and be much easier for me to do, but will this provide suitable support for the floor? I would think as long as I apply a decent amount then this should work, but can anyone suggest a reason why this is a bad idea?

Cheers.
You dont need to compact the sand. Plus, the sheets themselves usually have a wee bit of 'memory', meaning they rarely sit flat.
Just use building sand to fluff out any pockets.

I used small amounts of sand to fill in the dips on the concrete floor and worried a bit about the insulation moving. Once it's got the weight of the screed on ... it won't go anywhere.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll see how I get on with the sand.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back