Floor is a bit of a mess - levelling compound approach?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm refitting a bathroom for my parents. I was originally going to use Ardex NA to level the concrete floor. But when I've taken up carpet and old floor tiles and had a spirit level on it, the floor turns out to be a bit of a mess of sections/levels/slopes, and much worse than it originally looked. It looks as if the "concrete floor" is large pre-cast sections like giant paving slabs its so uneven.

See diagram below.

As you can see, the most significant slope is a reasonably linear one down towards the door from the high point, and the drop in height is around -23mm over the length of the bathroom - which is about 2.5M, and 1.5m wide.

I'm after suggestions from those of you who might have done something like this on what combination of levelling compound type/brand and approach is best for a job like this. I've never done a level to this sort of depth before.

Obviously, I'd like to do this in one pour if possible but I'm thinking the slope direction, bed depth and constraints below are going to make that a little difficult and I can afford to take a bit of time to get it right.

So, my current thinking is to put a batton up the middle of the bathroom floor and level the shower/sink side close to its full depth in one pour as there will be no foot traffic at the deep end, the sink end ought to set fast enough sloping from the high point to -5mm deep, and I've got full reach to trowel the compound out if necessary without wading in it. When that side is set solid, do the loo side in two or three stages. Then do a final thin level across both if needed.

Constraints:

I'm only concerned with time to walk-on. The flooring on top of it can wait (this will be non-slip vinyl).

The new shower tray is a raised/cast one and must be on a level surface + the waste pipe has to go along the right hand wall. i.e. I have little option but to try and sort the levelling issue out so the waste pipe slopes in the right direction!

It isn't feasible to move my parents out due to their health situation right now (part of the reason for the bathroom refit and why I'm doing it) so I have been working around them. This is the only bathroom/toilet - but we do have a chemical toilet setup in a spare bedroom which has been useful when I was fitting the new toilet and sink. That's far from ideal though so I'm looking for a walk-on time of around 3 hrs.

Thanks!

Slope.jpg

Sponsored Links
DIYer and have only used SLC once for a 30mm lift.
Mapei 3240 (3 to 40mm) worked well.
I think it took a few hours to set enough to walk on.

I had some dips in the 3240 when done and used Mapei 1210 (1 to 10mm) to fill and feather out.

I used Setcrete SLC primer as it was available in a smaller size than the Mapei primer.
Fischer resin was great for filling cracks and holes before the pour.

Mine was a concrete slab in an extension that had settled over 20 years.
How is a 23mm lift going to affect the doorway to your parents hall/landing? I am assuming the door is bottom left of your pic?

How is a 23mm lift going to affect the doorway to your parents hall/landing? I am assuming the door is bottom left of your pic?

Good point - and I had a look at that today and I think it should work out OK. They have just had a new carpet in the hall which, with the underlay too, is much thicker than the old floor covering it replaced - so it should end up roughly level. The gap under the bathroom door is already generous enough to pass over the new floor level - though I might have to shave a bit off when the flooring is added on top.

Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back