Floor Is Sinking Under Toilet, Help please.

Is that wood worm?
Yes looks like it. I said that at the top of the latest post with pictures. Although researching it, it does not seem like the end of the world, if treated, and 75% of the joists do seem sound and solid enough to be sistered to.

Sponsored Links
the floor was dippin an the WC was leanin forward with every user because ther was no joist support exactly under the damp patch on the subfloor. plus the short subfloor boards were left floatin uder the wall(?)
is that a stairwell bulkhead to the left of the pics?

probe the joists for live woodworms - any live ones drill a few small holes and soak with chemicals.
you'd do well to cut an resite the cold supply to the WC - lift it higher an it will give you room to screw asister on to that joist.
is that joist definitly firmly fixed at the double joist an under the bath at that far wall?
an the joist nearest to camera seems to suddenly end in thin air?

lookin at the pics again i'd say if you got a joiner in they'd pull up more of the flooran check just how its been slip shod carcassed in patches.
if you cut your losses with the copper pipes and replaced them with plastic going through bored holes not notches it would make for a sounder job.

the floor was dippin an the WC was leanin forward with every user because ther was no joist support exactly under the damp patch on the subfloor. plus the short subfloor boards were left floatin uder the wall(?)
is that a stairwell bulkhead to the left of the pics?

probe the joists for live woodworms - any live ones drill a few small holes and soak with chemicals.
you'd do well to cut an resite the cold supply to the WC - lift it higher an it will give you room to screw asister on to that joist.
is that joist definitly firmly fixed at the double joist an under the bath at that far wall?
an the joist nearest to camera seems to suddenly end in thin air?

lookin at the pics again i'd say if you got a joiner in they'd pull up more of the flooran check just how its been slip shod carcassed in patches.
if you cut your losses with the copper pipes and replaced them with plastic going through bored holes not notches it would make for a sounder job.

Wow, you are very observant!!

1) Stairwell bulkhead in the pic?

It is this section here:

e84kg8.jpg

So the toilet and start of the bath are directly above the bottom of the stairs.

2) OK, The short subfloor boards did have a bit of wood behind them (useless) but there is a solid steel weight bearing beam right behind the back wall as the house has had a large entention, so I am thinking I could attach something on top of that beam to support the back boards, timber block glued, brick, etc.

3) I have ordered the chemical to arrive tomorrow (Sat) so I will absolutely soak it a few times over a few days.

4) Water pipe I will get a plumber in to cut it down, and rejoin it when all joists are finished, and in a better position.

5) I plan to pull the far wall boards up tomorrow to absolutely check the joists are firmly connected that side on the wall. The only reason I have not done it yet, is that the boards over the joists go under the bath, so will have to sort that, and get them up to check.

6) The joist you can see nearest the camera is actually a sister joist, that isn't fixed very well, but I will sort that, looks like the previous owners just added it to lessen the gap between the joists where the foot flow will be, does not look to be any other reason as the main joist just before that looks sound.

The main problem I see, and that is in my head, is how much of the bad wood I will have to cut from the joist, and if there will be enough to support, or if I should just raise the level with glued plywood and then sister it, and maybe add one of these things to top:

easi-fix_bower_beams_fw_2.jpg

I have had a day off from it today to let it all sink in and think :cautious:

Thank you for your help!

Last edited:
dont you take time off an lose money - you work an pay a joiner an a plumber if it all seems to much.
thing is you sometimes have to think three steps ahead on refurbishment work - lots of guys hate it an only do site work.
the double joists over the bulkhead must be dead secure an firm at each end.
one possibility is to sack most of the t&g boards an use ply as a sub-floor?
the wc supply goes up insidethe wall for say 200mm an thencomes, stubs out, out at ninety degrees.

another thing is the whole bathroom was badlydone by a DIY'er - youl end up openin up one fault an exposin another.

Sponsored Links
you dont have to cut any wood from any joist - its only bugs not dry rot or somethin.
sister with 2" x 6"'s not ply - 2" x will give something to screw the subfloor to

you dont have to cut any wood from any joist - its only bugs not dry rot or somethin.
sister with 2" x 6"'s not ply - 2" x will give something to screw the subfloor to

Thanks. And I work from home, actually my office is right next to the offending bathroom, albeit it, it is now full of toilet/sink/cabinets and other rubbish now, so not losing any work really.

I am due to have my roof fixed in the next week or so (leaking valley), so I am wondering if the roofer would know about new joists if I struggle on it. I might ask him to take a look.

I'll let you know how I get on, and I appreciate all the advice!

i'd let the roofer roof an you get a joiner in for a view an 2 pee's worth of advice.

i'd let the roofer roof an you get a joiner in for a view an 2 pee's worth of advice.
Yep Bob definitely knows his stuff but has a low opinion of DIYers. How do you know the work wasn't the work of a cowboy "builder"? There are so many cowboys out there its not true and even the Pros will not take as much time, care and attention as someone doing it there-self.

I'm not saying every DIYer is great at what they do - far from it but what I am saying is that being a DIYer or a PRO means nothing. There are good and bad in both categories.

the jokes as old as the ark but im glad that its finally got to you.

mike42, next time you want a root filling go see a DIY dentist. some of them are very good they practice on their families.

I have vinyl over similar floorboards. Good fitters put a think plyboard down to make it flat. Get a wood effect vinyl and lay it same ways as boards - then you are feeling the boards underfoot so not a problem .... #bodgejob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back