United Kingdom
IMG_2533.JPG
IMG_2532.JPG
IMG_2531.JPG
IMG_2530.JPG
IMG_2529.JPG
IMG_2525.JPG
Hi All

We have lived in our house for around 18 months now. When we first moved in we noticed a small damp patch under the carpet to the lounge. Noticed this due to the Sky cable coming through the wall. Anyway we left this and have had no issues. Recently there has been a strong smell to the lounge. I decided to lift the carpet and found the timber to be rotten in sections.

From the photos attached you can see there is a small channel which runs under the timber which I believe could possible be causing the issue.

The floor construction is a solid concrete floor with timber over the top then carpet finish. We have no other areas in the lounge which struggle with damp/rot. Not really sure what this channel was for, possible a supply for something.

What would you suggest is the best cure? I was thinking of removing all damaged timber, in filling channel with concrete and then fitting new timber to affected area.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
You're plan is a good one, but you need to ascertain what the channel is for first. If it's to carry water away, the you could cause problems further up the line, but it may well have been a supply channel for something, and waters leaked in.

Concrete isn't water proof so just filling it in won't be sure to solve it. To be due you need to either have a continuous damp membrane or make sure it can dry out quicker then it gets wet.
I think you need to work out what the channel is for and identify any damp proof membranes. How old is the house, is it original concrete?
The aim is to stop the water entering. The other option is to allow ventilation under the boards to dry it out constantly, but digging it out won't be fun.

As professionals, here's how we would approach your situation:

The room would be cleared & the whole carpet and underlay would be lifted.
Perhaps, the lengths of skirting from the inside corner out would be removed for examination of the skirtings backs, and for damp signs in the lower wall areas.
A square of T&G flooring, going 12" beyond visible damage, would be cut out.
Careful inspections would then be possible.

For now, why not remove the rotted area and post pics with all debris removed?

I'd be suspicious that previous remedial work had been carried out and painted over?
Are both walls solid masonry?
Is either wall external?

Sponsored Links
Floor is a solid concrete floor. Channel runs from external wall to end of property. I believe this must have been a supply run for something. Maybe gas, electric or old water main as kitchen is at the back of the property.

This is the only section of floor which is affected. The rest of the channel has been concreted over and no damage to any flooring.

They are both external walls and solid brick walls.

Will remove all the damaged timber over the next couple of days to see what this leaves.

There seems to be an issue with photos on the forum at the moment

Removed some of the flooring to show a channel which appears to run the length of the room. Section of this has been filled with concrete and a membrane used. Looks to be the access point for whatever this used to serve.

Remainder of the channel had been filled with timber which was rotten.

Need to pull the carpet back further tomorrow to check for any further issues. Have to remove a large side board to do this (n)

Plan is to infill channel with concrete and then fit some new floorboards to size.

Attachments

• IMG_2538.JPG
    IMG_2538.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_2539.JPG
    IMG_2539.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_2540.JPG
    IMG_2540.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 74
OP,
FWIW: I suggested above what kind of initial approach might work for you?

Whats the relationship between the outside ground levels & the internal FFL's?
Is the outside rendered?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back