Sloping floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1970's no-fines concrete house. The first floor joists run front to back and appear to be given additional support on a timber load bearing wall which divides the lounge from the dining room. Since we have moved in and loaded the upstairs with our furniture and tiled the bathroom the floor has started sloping very slightly, but noticeable with the water in a small fish tank no longer level.

The ground floor dividing wall has a deep timber beam running across the building with vertical 2x4 timber supports.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether I can prop from one side, raising the floor back as level as can get and then replace each vertical timber post individually with a concrete block wall, eventually removing all timber vertical supports and creating a block supporting wall. I plan to leave the large crossing timber beam in place and block up to the underside of it. We have just decorated the other room so want to avoid removing both sides of the plaster if possible.

Sponsored Links
Woody can you help this new member out!

If it was me I would place a small wedge under the fish tank and declare "job's a good un".

I know firsthand how irritatating non level floors can be but I'm not sure this is the answer. It sounds like you could be turning a smallish problem into a big one that could even invalidate your insurance worst ways. The thing is you could put something else out and end up with more serious issue.

Unless Woody says it is ok that is.

Floors don't tend to drop on their own. They joists rest on a wall and so they only drop if the wall drops.

This will be an ex-council house, and the floor deck (Wayroc?) may be loose or the joists not strutted leading to flexing not dropping.

You need to find out what the cause is first before trying a solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back