Floor joist below Steel beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello have a question I'm installing steel beam in gables and my steel beam is 50mm above the finish floor level .I don't want to loose any hight in loft is the any way to do it ? I marked in picture where the steel will be and joists

Attachments

• IMG_6745.jpg
    IMG_6745.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 76
Sponsored Links
LOL. A bit of a trip hazard.

Are you following drawings, surely it was not designed like this?

this is if I'm putting engineering brick then spread late on top that's where the bottom of the steel will be if I'm not putting engineering brick just spread plate then maybe I loose 20mm in hight instead of 70mm not sure if I can put mortar on old block and spread plate on top

Attachments

• IMG_6749.jpg
    IMG_6749.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
Why not just put the top of the padstone to be ~25mm clear of the ceiling joist (to allow for midspan deflection)?

You'll have lots of plastering to do so making a bit of a mess in the room below doesn't really matter, just patch it later.

Sponsored Links
I have 10mm metal spread plates witch will be ideal if I can put straight on to the block , but its old breeze block , and below its tiled bathroom

I have 10mm metal spread plates witch will be ideal if I can put straight on to the block , but its old breeze block , and below its tiled bathroom

Normally you’d have a spreader plate bearing onto the existing masonry.
Why are you unsure if you need engineering brick or not? Has an SE sized the spreader plate you need?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back