Floor joists help with installing

... you should end up with a floor that feels "rock solid" when you jump up and down on it and should be virtually flat (a length of new skirting board across the floor in any direction should should have no big (more than 10mm) gaps or upstands.
10mm variation is flat? That would require scribing of the bottom of the skirting. Dead flat is what you should aim for, with +/- 2 to 3mm max, and no more, being acceptable. With sheet material sub-floors this is relatively straitforward to achieve, even if you do need a bit of SLC to take the last bit of hollowness out

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
10mm variation is flat? That would require ascribing of the bottom of the skirting. Dead flat is what you should aim for, with +/- 2 to 3mm max, and no more, being acceptable. With sheet material sub-floors this is relatively straitforward to achieve

Very true, but sometimes I think you have to have realistic expectations, if you look at the work so far, God knows what the joists are packed up with on that sleeper wall, and it looks like one of the bricks has cracked in half:
Screenshot_20210403-183228.png

Someone suggested ledgers fixed to the walls to carry the joists - how do you think that would go in this situation? Half a dozen wood screws and some brown plugs or maybe a few 4" nails into the mortar joints?

At least he's got a roll of DPC on the job, let's hope he wrapped a bit round those (untreated?) joist ends before he stuck them in those damp holes.

Someone suggested ledgers fixed to the walls to carry the joists - how do you think that would go in this situation?
With resin anchors, probably quite well, although I would expect a number of "dry holes" (holes where there are voids in the brickwork, and so where you'll never get a decent resin fix - we often manage only 5 decent holes in 8 or 9 drilled on my present project). I've used these with great success a lot in ropey Victorian brickwork - fat better in poor quality masonry than shield anchors (Rawl bolts). Sadly, I have my doubts that this chap would know how to use either

At least he's got a roll of DPC on the job, let's hope he wrapped a bit round those (untreated?) joist ends before he stuck them in those damp holes.
Well, based on the work to date, what do you reckon? As to wrapping - I somehow feel this guy couldn't wrap his Christmas presents properly, let alone a joist end

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back