floor level techniques?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new to the site so bear with me if I am in the wrong place etc etc etc.

I have recently had a conservatory built, and the floor is not the best....it is very uneven, and I need to tile it...ergo, I need it level.

But....can any of you give me any tips on how to find HOW uneven it is, and where the high and low points are, so as to maybe grind down the high points (and save money on levelling compound) and to find the low points...to also give me an idea of how much compound I may need.

I have read a tip, where you drill the floor and put in plugs then screws and adjust them to level, but I have hot water underfloor heating and didn't really want to start drilling the floor.

And I haven't got a laser level...too expensive for one that works accurately!

Thanks...and Hi to all..

Sponsored Links
just use a spirt level and circle with chalk any high or low spots.

grind high areas if you want to save money and fill low areas with repair compound etc and then a full skim to make perfect.

Make sure you let the concrete dry properly first ( 1" a month)

Or, pour a bucket of water over the surface - highs/lows and approximate amounts will be self evident, and will help you estimate how much compound you'll need

Sponsored Links
GGG - level or flat?

Flat enough for tiling - the cheap option use the edge of a long length of straight timber to discover high/low spots.

Level - buy a long spirit level then as above

then grind/fill/skim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back