Advice on levelling compound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have read the sticky but . . .

Holiday over, room cleared (almost) got the SDS Drill out to take the high spots off and guess what . . . . .

I was expecting a sand/cement screed and the floor is floated concrete!

Took some of the bumps off and gave up - some parts are 4mm low and some 5mm high to datum at the doorway. About a third of the room is 5mm high!

I will be levelling to the high point and that means from 0 At the high points and 10mm of levelling compound. Will put a taper under the hall carpet if need be.

What puzzles me is that if it needs to be spread out and may need help to flow how do I do that in a 5m by 4m room without getting dirty feet!

If I underestimate how much to mix can I do it in layers?

Builders put a thin coat of paint on the floor - Which compound is best/easiest to use on a floor of this size?

Sponsored Links
Yep you can do it in layers - will have to for more than 5mm thickness anyway.

Split the room into manageable sections with marked formwork around the perimeter and get each section to within 1 or 2 mm of your desired final level. Remove formwork when a section has set and use some of the compound from the next batch to fill the gaps left from this formwork. When set, as per manufacturers instructions, do one final spread of the final 1 or 2 mm over the whole lot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back