Levelling compound query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a couple of questions re: self levelling compound. Basically, I have a flagstone floor that needs levelling as it is in quite bad condition, also they are bloomin cold to walk on in the morning so I would like to lay some carpet on them and I don't really want to pull the whole lot up & replace with new ones or concrete because of time, mess & expense. 2 carpetters have said that it is currently too uneven to lay carpet - hence my interest in self levelling compounds.

So that's the background, I've read quite a lot about the compounds already so my concerns are quite specific:

What happens at the edge of the floor, lets say if there is a doorway or a step down into another room? What is to stop the compound flowing out of these open areas into another room? Do I need to use some wood to maybe box in these areas? Will the compound then be weak (too weak?) at these edges?

The other thing is the small gaps between the flagstones (one of which goes down to the basement), will the compound seep away through these? Or is it too thick to do this (or am I for asking?!)? Should I point up the joints and any large or distinct holes with mortar before I lay the compound?

Hope you can help,

Thanks for your time,
Matt

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back