Floor levelling gone wrong. DIY or hire a pro?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So far I've put down over 5mm ontop of what was required to level due to not getting a decent finish.

I'm at the point of possibly hiring a floor grinder https://www.hss.com/hire/p/htc-gl270-grinder, they're not cheap & theres no guarantee it'll look good.

Should I:
1. Hire the floor grinder (are they easy to use & get a decent level finish?)
2. Hire a pro. (Where's the best place online to find a tradesman?)

Sponsored Links
Define not getting a decent finish, and was is SLC, and how did you do it.

Assuming it was SLC, the the floor grinder will more than likely rip it to pieces. But the problem with hiring a pro, is knowing you're going to get a good one. How much higher could you go if you tried again.

I think theres about 2mm of variance (un-levelness) That either needs to be filled or grinded back.

Floor grinder is off the cards - so thanks for the heads up.

TBH I think I'm better off getting a pro in. I'm out my league at this point. Any pointers for where to find someone?

Sponsored Links
You haven't said what distance the 2mm variance is over, but normall, 3mm over 3m is considered okay, so you may be worrying unnecessarily. You can take the SLC down with sand paper - hard work but managable. But a lot of SLC will only go down to 2mm feather edge, so you'd need to try and do another 5mm again.

Sorry to finding a pro, that's just going to be hunting locally for one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back