orbital floor sander hire in midlands - help needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm new to this forum, but in need of some help. I have almost finished fitting my own parquet floor (first time DIY - please don't judge me too harshly!) and am coming up to the sanding process. The blocks are new, unfinished oak, that I got a great deal on. I've done a reasonable job, few minor disasters along the way, but hey, I never expected it to be perfect like you pros out there. Anyway, from the outset I knew I would need an orbital sander (lagler trio, or bona flexisand, an edger and probably a dust control unit) and it would be the key to getting a decent job done. I know it's a bit of an art, and parquets are particularly difficult, but I've got this far, so may as well continue. The big problem I have is getting hold of either a trio or flexisand. No one anywhere in Birmingham has even heard of them. I've called most of the local and big chain hire firms and they only do drum sanders. When I mention orbital they always point me to hand helds! I'm willing to look around the midlands, but am surprised Birmingham hasn't any. I've called a few firms just outside and no luck there either. From searching online, the nearest I can find is London or Cambridge. Surely there must be somewhere close. I would really appreciate it if someone could mention a few places to try. There must be a hire store that hasn't a big online presence, but does hire orbital floor sanders to the public.

Sponsored Links
so far, what machine have you used to sand the field, or centre, of the floor?
is what you are looking for an Edger?

so far, what machine have you used to sand the field, or centre, of the floor?
is what you are looking for an Edger?
Hasn’t sanded, he’s looking for orbital sander for main area as opposed to drum .

Spot on foxhole. Floor almost finished, but stumbled at the sanding hurdle. I'll probably need an orbital for the main area, an edger and a dust control unit. I think the trio has dust control built on, but the flexisand hasn't. Not sure if the edger needs to be orbital, but the flexisand has a matching edger, both made by Bona. Not sure about dust control for edgers, but imagine that's a smaller issue. My main problem is finding somewhere near Birmingham that's not London or Cambridge!

Sponsored Links
Thanks foxhole, but that's one of the only two I have found sound far. Is £170 per day, excluding vat, the going rate? Just need to know, so I can compare it to anything else should it turn up. I thought that was a bit on the steep side, and if it were the norm, then maybe hiring someone may be more economical. Especially as I would also need an edger, dust control unit of some sort and various sanding disks of different grits. Anyone know of a decent and not expensive floor sander!;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back