Floor Levelling over Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have a tiled floor that slopes down at one end. I would like to level it off but from what i have read elsewhere, you cannot put self levelling concrete over tiles as it wont 'stick'. Is this correct?

The height difference is about 20mm at its maximum.

Would i need some sort of primer on the tiles first, or is there a product that goes straight on top of tiles? I really want to avoid taking up the tiles if neccessary.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
No, it will probably be some sort of vinyl flooring so I will need the floor covered to be flat. Thats why I was thinking of self levelling concrete or compound.

I have never put levelling compound on tiles before but first thought would be fine as you can tile straight on top of them. Best advice would be to phone the manufacturer of the product you wish to use.

Maybe roughing the tiles up a bit with a sander to provide a key could be a good way to go about it.

Sponsored Links
You can with the right levelling compound. take a look at a polymer modified levelling, we sell granfix - i know both fibreflex 30 and fibreflex 50 are ideal for this.

You need to key tiles with a slurry coat first - from the granfix spec sheet:

Existing Glazed Tiles, Unglazed Tiles, Quarry Tiles and Terrazzo:
Ensure tiles are firmly fixed and all surface treatments and
contamination is removed. Prime surface with a mixture of
1 part Granfix Acrylic Bonding and Priming Agent to 1 part
ordinary portland cement and apply to floor before application of FIBREFLEX 30

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back