Floor levelling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm about to start levelling a very wonky floor in an old house. It dips in the middle and slopes 100mm from one corner to the other. This is all due to historic reasons and there is no immediate issue to be resolved other than the slope and some bounce from the undersized 200 year old joists. There is no rot or damp and the joists are in great condition, pocketed into the stone walls, they are just a bit small for the span so it's a bit bouncy!

The plan is to sister with new joists, levelling out the floor as I go to end up with a flat and level floor.

Can anyone please advise if glue and then carriage bolts with timber connectors would be sufficient for this? Say at 600mm centres, alternating top and bottom? The span in 4.3m and I'm sistering the full length but not putting the sisters into new pockets.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd bolt through with decent sized washers either side rather than carriage bolts. 5 sets of M10 bolts at 800-900mm centres would be plenty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back