floor lifting/buckling for first time after years of being fine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have lived in my Victorian terrace house for about 8 years and never had any problems with the floor. Two days ago I noticed the floor in the hallway lifting/buckling badly on one side, must be up a few inches. The floor is, I think, some sort of wood pieces likely laid on top of the original. If you stand on the buckled bit, it goes down, squeaks and air appears to escape.
Any ideas why this might have suddenly happened after years of being fine?!? Weather has been fairly stable and I have no other reason to suspect a leak I can't see.
Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Hi, sorry but pieces I mean small planks of wood as seen in this photo

Attachments

• IMG_6502.jpeg
    IMG_6502.jpeg
    374.2 KB · Views: 37
Sponsored Links
You may have a leak from the radiator?
Yeah I guess that is an option, would just seem odd to me that a radiator would suddenly after all these years (and not having been put on for months) would suddenly spring a leak?!? Obviously tho I know nothing about this stuff, so perhaps that is possible!

Rad could be rusting which causes leaks, doesn’t need a lot of water to swell and distort hard wood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back