floor screed and insulation question

Sponsored Links
Peoples opinion on screed seems to vary and I have read a few worrying posts regarding cracks..... if you have say 6 inches depth to play with, would 4 inches af concrete and a 2 inch screed be a wiser option?
I just worry that the insulation may move slightly and make the screed unstable over time?

Sponsored Links
Disregard chukka,s advice.

Fit something like this........
http://www.insulation.kingspan.com/uk/pdf/k3.pdf

With a thermal conductivity as low as 0.021 W/m.K in comparison to concrete averaging around 1.6W/m.K I think you get the picture.
I would go for 80mm in your case and 80mm of fibre reinforced sand/ cement screed.
It's common practise in new builds and works well.

Ive just been looking into this myself and have to agree with noseall. Make sure your sub slab is flat to evenly support the insulation. (see my post "sole plate can go where?" This stops any movement in the ins and hence the screed will not flex and crack. I asked my BC about this and it seems the problem with screed on ins is it can crack up particularly when something is dropped on it. Bound to happen in a kitchen right? This is made worse by hollows under the ins. He advised 65mm to prevent cracks from droppages. I would be concerned if you are fitting ufh underfloor heating or you are ceramic etc tiling it. So I believe 75mm should be OK but advise going thicker and adding fibres. Im also adding SBR which is like a water proof PVA.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back