Floor strips/thresholds for vinyl click flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm thinking about replacing the carpet on the hallway of our flat for vinyl click flooring (already have some of this flooring in the dining area, but was installed by someone). However, I'm not sure about the floor strips/thresholds. Current ones will need replacing as they won't match with the new flooring. However, as they will be "matching" different types of floor (e.g. carpet on one side and vinyl flooring on the other in many cases) I'm not sure what to use. For the floor that we have in mind B&Q recommends these. However, they can only be fixed with a screw (not an option as, being a flat, it's concrete under the carpet) or, apparently, with the provided double-sided tape, but not sure how much this would actually hold, not least on the carpeted side.

I was having a look at the current strips (see pictures) and they seem to be fixed with blobs of some glue (you can see it coming out of the bottom holes in the first pic) , so I'm wondering if I should use something like that, although I'm not sure that the shape of the B&Q's strips lends itself to gluing in that way given that there is a cavity right in the middle. As for the main entrance's threshold, it seems to be a different type with the carpet not being tucked under it. Not sure I need (or would be able) to replace this one, which means that the floor would simply finish next to it (maybe with a bit of a gap).

Is the B&Q recommendation + glue all I need or should I be looking for a different solution?

CV.jpg
CE.jpg

Sponsored Links
You can use Grip Fill to glue down flat plate based door profiles, just put some weight on while the adhesive sets. There are faster actingbadhesives available like Flexi-Fix too.

The top picture is what you need for doorways to carpets, depends what the other floorings are that run off the space but for other hard floorings it’s easier to use self adhesive cover plates and ramp profiles.

Thanks! So, the there would be one threshold that would be vinyl click flooring on both sides (top picture, but carpet would be replaced with vinyl), two where it would be carpet and vinyl flooring (where today it's carpet on both sides), one where it would be vinyl and tiles (a bathroom - again, is carpet and tiles at present) and the one for the main entrance (bottom picture).

I was hoping that I could replace all these aluminum thresholds (except for the main entrance) for wood effect ones or similar, but I gather from your advice that I would need different types for each, and therefore run the risk of ending with a mishmash if I don't go for something more "standard"

You need

2 x self adhesive flat cover plates
2x Z edges
1x self adhesive square edge/lip

As to if you can get those in wood effect, have a look at the one 2 one website, they may have the self adhesive bars in wood effect, only way to meet the carpets would be a end profile and finish the carpet against them if you don’t want to use a z edge profile

Sponsored Links
Fantastic! Thanks a lot.

Just to check, I'm assuming that the self adhesive flat cover plates would be for the LVT to LVT and the LVT to tile (bathroom), right? If so, I'm assuming that for the former I would need something like this (i.e. completely flat) whereas for the latter I would need something like this, given that there would be a difference in height (about 4mm)

Fantastic! Thanks a lot.

Just to check, I'm assuming that the self adhesive flat cover plates would be for the LVT to LVT and the LVT to tile (bathroom), right? If so, I'm assuming that for the former I would need something like this (i.e. completely flat) whereas for the latter I would need something like this, given that there would be a difference in height (about 4mm)

Absolutely

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back