Threshold strips: difference in flooring levels

16 Mar 2005
Reaction score
United Kingdom
The laminate flooring in my hall way is at a different level to the new carpet I have fitted in the adjacent bedroom. There is a visible gap underneath the threshold strip in the door way.

How can I fix this? Is it possible to buy "stepped" threshold strips to deal with such a situation?
Sponsored Links
There are many different types available, wood to carpet, wood to wood, carpet to carpet, etc...
There is a type of metal threshold strip called 'Z-Frame' which you should be able to get at any contract/industrial flooring supplier. I think it comes in 9mm and 14mm so if your laminate is 8mm then get the 9mm Z-Frame. It is shaped like a capital I, you fit it in between the laminate and carpet and the cap hides the laminate expansion gap. It has a kink in the vertical section so you just gently hammer along the cap and it will buckle and compress down the few millimetres to sit flush on your laminate and angle down onto the surface of the carpet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links