Rebating threshold rather than using cover strip??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to be fitting an engineered floor some time this week and have been thnking about the threshold join.

I have the same oak thresholds all around the house, so have one of these cut read to fit, but didn't want to use a threshold cover strip if I could avoid it.

Mainly because I have (blindly!) fitted a door to suit the new threshold height, and painted it, so if I were to use a cover strip I'd have to take more off the bottom of the door which I'd rather not do now!!

I was thinking that as the thresholds are approx 20mm thick, and finished floor level will be around 16mm thick, I could rebate the underside of the threshold to suit height of flooring, and go in approx 15mm to cover the join, and leave ~10mm expansion gap.

Sounds OK to me in practice, can anyone see any reason why it would still be better to use a cover strip?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back