Floor tile direction !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The kitchen im about to tile is 19 ft by 12 ...ive just bought tiles which 2ft by 1ft...now my m8 reckons i have lay the tiles in the same direction as the longest part of the kitchen ( lengthwise ) ,,but i think the perspective will look too long and thin...i want to lay them across the kitchen to give the impresseion of width cos its got the length...
Anyone got any views on the best way or does it matter ?

Cheers all

Sponsored Links
Why don't you lay out a whole bunch of them, dry, to see how it looks?

Some thoughts:

Where is/are the door/doors? On the 19's or 12's?
If the decision is a close call I would go with the flow of the room. i.e. from door to door on opposite wall.

What colour are the tiles/grout. The more prominent/contrast the more of a difference it would make.

I would suggest lengthwise.
19 x 12 is a good size room. Don't think it'll look long and thin.
(If you were laying a wooden floor you would normally go lengthwise)

Theres a back door on the end of one of the lenghts and patio doors on one of the sides....tiles are black slate and will be using black grout to match her worksurfaces ! i dont really mind which way i have to go just wondered if i had to go lengthwise.....will probably lay some out over the weekend to see where the cuts are ..
Cheers lads

Sponsored Links
If your going to use black grout, make sure you do it in natural daylight and clean it off in natural daylight. When cleaning off, go over it several times and change your water/sponge regularly. I've used black grout on black tiles quite afew times. The first time was during the evening and I thought I'd cleaned it all off properly. Had a look the following day in natural daylight and there was loads left on the tiles, not just a film but a bloody crust!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back