floor tile issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi not sure if this is the right place to post. I'm currently taking up my carpet to lay laminate flooring down. Unfortunately to do this I well need to take the carpet grippers up which are nailed down into floor tiles. The floor tiles are all chipped and will break if I take the carpet grippers out. The house is from 1978, and so I'm thinking the tiles will be asbestos based. Am I ok to take the grippers out if the tiles only snap rather than go into massive dust. is this an absolute no no, or am I being overly cautious? Does it matter if a few edges break off?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What makes you think the floor tiles contain asbestos, what are they?

Conventional tiles (even in 1978) are usually ceramic, porcelain or other natural stone, none of which will contain asbestos.

If the grippers are nailed through the tiles....
I would guess they are Marley vinyl tiles,so yes they will contain asbestos.

Just use the claw on the hammer and lift the grippers off,spray water over the area to contain the dust...use a face mask FFP2.

Maybe look into a slc..latex based,to go over the flooring prior to fixing the laminate flooring.

If the whole floor/vinyl are lifting,then use the appropriate PPE and bag the vinyl tiles and dispose off properly.

These type off tiles are being brought off the asbestos list,because the risk is minimal...but always always use the proper PPE and dispose off properly.

If the grippers are nailed through the tiles....
I would guess they are Marley vinyl tiles,so yes they will contain asbestos.
Oh; I wasn’t even thinking vinyl tiles, should have been obvious really :rolleyes:

Follow tictic's advice.

Sponsored Links
That's great thanks. One other question do I need to lay a damp proof membrane if laying the laminate on top of tiles on a concrete floor. I've found the underlay I want but it didn't have a membrane as part of it?

Me...I would just go for a slc...latex based over the substrate...

Do you have damp issues,on the floor or up the walls?..

What are the walls made off?...take any skirting boards off and check for sweating/dampness...same for floor,tape a clear poly bag over a section off floor,leave for a day or so and see if you get any condisation...

Bought all the stuff today, asbestos mask etc, so will be starting late in the week. Will keep you posted how I get on.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back