Levelling Gaps In Floor Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

I purchased a 1960’s bungalow and the place required a complete renovation job. On pulling up all old carpets and underlay revealed a tiled floor underneath. I have been told by someone that due to the age of the property these tiles will most likely contain asbestos.

I am now at the point of either putting down new carpet or laminate flooring. The problem I have is that I have areas of missing tiles and the edges where the carpet gripper has been removed are uneven and broken in places. I do not want to remove the tiles and would prefer to just cover them. I was wondering if I could just patch up the gaps to level the floor and then fit whatever over the top.

Would that be ok and what materials are best for the job?

I have attached a picture and would appreciate any help in this matter.

tilefloor.jpg

Sponsored Links
Self levelling compound would probably be the safest way to deal with this. Whether you want to cover the lot or just the areas where the tiles are missing is up to you. Mapei ultraplan renovation screed is excellent and will fill 3mm to 40mm in one pour. Clean and prime floor before pouring.

learningallthetime, good evening.

The "tiles" look like" Thermo-Plastic" tiles popular in that era. Yes they can and do contain Asbestos, check Google?? for more information, If you were to wish to remove the tiles totally, which you do not then a test would be very prudent to see if the tiles did indeed contain Asbestos?

The construction at that time. sometimes included a bituminous coating / layer on top of the concrete floor slab, this layer of Bitumen is the DPM I cannot see in the image posted if that is the build up in your property?

Ken.

Thank you very much for the information provided. I think i will just level the gaps and not the whole floor.

I just have one further question. Around some of the edges the tiles are broken and in places I also have gaps where the wall meets the floor. See picture

How best would I go about filling these gaps and should i then coat the area with a DPM?

image170.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hello, the gaps/cracks around the edge of the floor in your picture look ok to me for self levelling over. If you have gaps or cracks that are deeper or larger then fill first with expanding foam or silicone. This will prevent the liquid self levelling compound disappearing down these gaps. As it's a solid floor it might be wise to put down a damp proof membrane before your underlay and final floor covering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back