Floor tiling - how level?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm probably going to tile my kitchen floor (not decided yet, but probably will). There's a concrete floor under the existing lino, but it feels as though there's a bit of unevenness in the floor level - not a lot, but a bit of a trough. Question is, how unlevel should it be before I need to put some self levelling compound down? How much of a drop, over what kind of area, do you think I could get away with? Tiles that my wife has picked out so far are 300mm squares if that makes any difference.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Use a good straight lath of wood across the floor (in all planes) to see how much your floor is uneven - you'll probably see that it isn't too much and the self levelling compound will happily cover a centimetre or more of fluctuation.
Get the floor as good as you can before tiling - bad faults will come back to haunt!
John :)

Thanks (again!) John.

When I say, I'm thinking of tiling my kitchen floor, what I really mean is we're haivng a new kitchen and I've had a number of people in to quote for the tiling.... ;)

However, the only person to mention that the floor isn't quite flat was a joiner - none of the tilers who have been have made any mention of it. From this, should I assume that the variance is negligible and they're happy to fill it with adhesive as they lay the tiles, or that they're not especially diligent/competent? To be honest I hadn't really registered the variance myself, I think because we live with it every day, so I never thought to mention it to any of the tilers that came. If someone screws up putting the tiles down, it'll be a job and a half to correct of course so I want to be confident of success before we start.

I’m surprised the tillers haven’t mentioned it (mention it next time) & can only assume they considered it manageable or, as you said, haven’t noticed it/couldn’t give a stuff anyway. Be very careful who you employ or you may end up with a lot of grief; it’s always best to get references & look at some previous work if you can.

Sponsored Links
Do a little research yourself first, using a straight edge.....this will show you how much the floor is hollowed.
It will be a much better job if the floor is as flat as possible before tiling.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back