Floor tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to be tiling a kitchen floor. At the moment there are quarry tiles down, and a few of them are slightly loose, and the floor isn't very level because of what was a concrete step. The tiles I am laying are 12 inch square. Would it be advisable to lay the tiles on a thick bed of adhesive to even out the imperfections?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'd advise you to remove any loose tiles, then level the floor. Tiling is easy when the floor is level, but a nightmare when it's not.

Thanks for the quick reply.

What's the best way to level the floor?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Not entirely sure if it's out from one end to another. But there are high spots in it. I'm actually going to go and take another look at it, as i'm not sure what's under the quarry tiles. If there's no damp proof membrane they might have to come up.

This leads me onto another question actually. If there is no damp proof membrane, can I get a levelling compound with a damp proofer in it? There is a kitchen sitting on half the quarry tiles already, so it would be out of the question to take them all up and put down a concrete floor.

Thanks for any ideas.

If it's just a few high spots, you'd be better just chiselling them off.
If you've had no problems with damp so far, I'd be inclined to just tile over the existing tiles and forget the damp membrane.

Thanks for reply. It is just a few high spots, so I might just tile over it.

I spoke to the person about damp, and they said when they took up the previous floor coverings there was stick down vinyl tiles on top of the quarry tiles, then lino on that, and the most recent has been a laminate floor all on top of each other!!! Anyway they said none of it was damp when they stripped it back to the quarry tiles. So the damp might not be an issue.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back