Floor to ceiling wooden shelving - how? Looking for ideas

OM2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to have wooden shelving going from floor to ceiling.
I'd have screwed to the wall of course.

Any idea where I can get something ready made?
I wanted unfinished wood - to give artistic look (and save money).

I cant find anything. Ikea to have, but not floor to ceiling - but I suppose I could cut in half and stick one on top of other?

Else... are there any plans or schemes someone has done before a newbie can follow?

Looking for ideas.

Thanks. :)

Sponsored Links
Building them yourself will depend on your skills, and tools. You could cut down an additional unit and fit it on to the top, but you need to make sure they are secured to each other, as well as the wall; are you able to set dowels into the units to provide a better fixing.

i've seen utube videos
doesnt seem hard - but u need tools i assume?

Sponsored Links
no tools... i have to buy :)
i take it i need to buy a jig with clamp?
thanks

As you don't have any tools, and therefore very little experience, I'd suggest you buy ready made shelves, and then cut and add the extra sections to the top.

Starting from scratch, you'd want a carpenters square, a sliding compound mitre saw, drill and jig for the dowels, glue, and clamps, spirit level, and a lot of patience.

I have floor to ceiling storage built from 12mm OSB sheet and CLS 2x3" (cheapest timber), I made mine 2.4m tall, by 2.4m tall and 60cm deep (OSB comes in 1220 x 2440mm sheets so two shelves a sheet = 2440x600 approx and no waste) - approx. £100 timber (+ wood glue, screws and wall fixings).

It's a bit like this (but I have 6 shelves sized to fit the boxes I use):
http://www.ana-white.com/2016/01/fr...-diy-garage-or-basement-shelving-tote-storage

I would suggest it's a great first project but only worthwhile buying the tools etc if you want to continue with diy/woodwork as it will be more expensive that buying a pre-made BigDug or similar unit.
RE tools as a minimum you would need: square (£10), drill (£50)(+bits £10), clamps (£25), spirit level (£15), tape measure (£5), handsaw (£10) = £125

@pinetrees absolutely awesome. thanks mate. anna white is cool. :)
i think i can pull it off.
i've got a new bug inside of me... i keep wanting to do woodwork! (no intention of becoming a carpenter. lol)

missing tools: square, bits, clamps, spirit level (assuming pound shop one i have is pants!), good tape measure
i'm definitely going to give it a go.

i wanted something rough and ready artistic looking.
but... i think i'll start with 2 ikea shelving for £13 each.
i've got 5 rooms to do. :)

RE tools as a minimum you would need: square (£10), drill (£50)(+bits £10), clamps (£25), spirit level (£15), tape measure (£5), handsaw (£10) = £125

Add in a Titan single level compound mitre saw at £60, and you've got a good starting set of tools. If you're working on walls etc, make sure the spirit level is at least 1.2m

@Doggit thanks for the advice
i'm always put off circular saws - look dangerous
the one u mention, is it similar say to a jigsaw saw?

AND... just out of interest... why does one need such a long spirit level?
thanks

AND are laser ones OK, or better to get 1.2m one?

A short spirit level won't show if the wall weaves in and out. 6fts good, but too long for a lot of jobs. A compound mitre saw will give you a straight and accurate cut, whereas a jigsaw if only for quick rough cuts. Lasers are good for laying out a kitchen etc, and you can get them for about £40 these days, but they're no good for general work.

could do it with a router and a saw and straight edge TBH. Plus you must end your obsession with lasers!

Now if you were that good, you wouldn't need the straight edge; you've got one on the saw.

I personally like using hand saws for 1 off jobs, fair enough not the best if you're knocking stuff out day after day though!.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back