Shelving joints?

Cheers gregers, clamps are the way forward for me. I have a couple already but will check more out.
Big-all, looks like I need a router. And a welsh dresser would be the ultimate project for me. I see lots of originals here in Wales and on some of our old family photos.

Sponsored Links
yes 8" although its often gluing together several bits off timber
my wood yard for some strange reason do not stock 8x1" they do 2/3/4/5/6/7 and 9x1" that comes out at 217-220mm

typically i would glue 2x1 onto 6x1" to get 8" or 2x 4x1"

the main reason is i ordered 15m off 6x1" for a job last year but didn't use much ----well hardly any --when i checked i had ordered 50m lol so trying to reduce the stock a bit :D :D

Thanks big all, basically I have a place which is ideal for a welsh dresser. But, I'm nowhere up to building a dresser. So I'm basically trying to just build something like the upper part for the wall. That is 2 shelves, and below these 3 spaces for either 3 boxes or 3 baskets. 6x1 shelves, 7x1 sides and bottom, and 8x1 top. I am thinking of t&g for the backing. Hopefully it will look quite 'country'.

Sponsored Links
also look at tgv boarding,it gives a v joint which can look plzing to the eye.have a look on www to see what i mean.

t&g is essential if you want the country look :D :D
i must have done at least 40 welsh dressers and around 10 matching separate tops
if its wall mounted then have a bottom section the same as the top

under the top but inside the side railsabout 10-15mm have a bit off 4x1" with squigly wavey scroley lines to give a finish to the top
you could also have "ears" fixed top and bottom shaped back towards the wall as decorative features
these would line up with the sides to look like continuations
place a bit off 4x1" under the bottom shelve to hold cup hooks for cups and nicknacks that hang this also has several holes to screw the bottom to the wall

a bit off 2x1" secured under or on top off the top to screw the top to the wall

if your baton is under the top then dont attach the squigly bit at the top untill fixed to the wall

hi big-all, do you have any pics of you welsh dressers on the internet?

i wished i could manage to put pictures on the internet it defeats me :eek:

i could type half as much if i could do pictures :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back