Floor vinyl tiling above mortar, underneath carpet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to help from the forum (see //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=152680) I partially dug up a concrete floor to re-route pipes for central heating. On top of the screed are vinyl tiles which were under the old carpet, and I had to remove about 9 tiles to do the digging up.

I threw away the old carpet and will eventually buy another, with a nice thick underlay, so I don't actually need to see the vinyl tiles.

Not knowing very much about these things, I have a few questions:

1, The tiles are about 2 mm thick, so where the tiles are missing the floor is about 2 mm lower. Will such a difference show through when I lay the underlay and carpet? I will be using professional carpet fitters, and I don't want them to think I've done a half-arsed job and not properly prepared the surface for them.

2, Assuming a 2 mm difference will show, should I replace the missing tiles, or should I remove all the other ones to make it all the same level? They prise up quite easily, so it might actually be easier to just get rid of all the old tiles than try and replace the missing ones. However, underneath the tiles is what I think is bitumen, which would be hard to remove. So I guess the question is - would bitumen underneath underlay be a bad idea, and again, would it annoy carpet fitters?

3, If the answer is (as I suspect) that it would be better to replace the missing tiles, what preparation should I do to the floor where I removed the tiles? I backfilled with a general purpose mortar mix, about 60 mm deep and varies between a 60 mm wide channel to a 400 mm wide area. I've got some cheap Marley vinyl tiles which say that a newly laid concrete floor needs to dry for 1 day per mm - does that apply to backfilled mortar too? The tiles also say that a porous surface should be primed - what sort of primer do I need?

4, The Marley tiles are self-adhesive. Given that I don't actually need to see them and they will be under carpet so unlikely to move at all, is it good enough to use the self-adhesive or should I get some proper adhesive, once I've prepared the floor as above?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
1, The tiles are about 2 mm thick, so where the tiles are missing the floor is about 2 mm lower. Will such a difference show through when I lay the underlay and carpet?
Yes. Althouth the line might not show at first, in time it will.

2, Assuming a 2 mm difference will show, should I replace the missing tiles, or should I remove all the other ones to make it all the same level?
Personally, I would remove.

would bitumen underneath underlay be a bad idea
Only if you later have to lift the underlay, as it will stick, or if there's a risk of chemically affecting the underlay material; for the latter you'd need to consult the carpet fitting company.

would it annoy carpet fitters?
It might, because they'll to walk on the potentially sticky floor, but you could lay newspaper as a barrier to the stickiness.

3, If the answer is (as I suspect) that it would be better to replace the missing tiles, what preparation should I do to the floor where I removed the tiles?
Seal it.

I backfilled with a general purpose mortar mix, about 60 mm deep and varies between a 60 mm wide channel to a 400 mm wide area. I've got some cheap Marley vinyl tiles which say that a newly laid concrete floor needs to dry for 1 day per mm - does that apply to backfilled mortar too?
Yes.

The tiles also say that a porous surface should be primed - what sort of primer do I need?
This kind of thing.

4, The Marley tiles are self-adhesive. Given that I don't actually need to see them and they will be under carpet so unlikely to move at all, is it good enough to use the self-adhesive or should I get some proper adhesive, once I've prepared the floor as above?
I don't see any reason for additional adhesive.

Thanks for the reply Softus. I've got quite some wait for the mortar to completely dry out, then.

Now I'm in two minds whether to pull up all the vinyl tiles or not! I'll have to do some research regarding how bitumen might affect underlay - unless anyone else has any ideas?

Thanks for the link to the primer, if I decide to replace the missing tiles after all. Since I had last posted I did a bit more searching of the forum and knew enough to not go for PVA and I was planning to go for BAL Bond SBR, but do you think the Wickes stuff will be just as good? Any ideas what it is made of?

Sponsored Links
I'll have to do some research regarding how bitumen might affect underlay - unless anyone else has any ideas?
I would just ring the underlay supplier.

...I was planning to go for BAL Bond SBR, but do you think the Wickes stuff will be just as good?
No. I would expect the Wickes stuff to be significantly worse.

Any ideas what it is made of?
Nope. Sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back