Floorboard colour!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've gone to the time and trouble of sanding down my old floorboards and then varnishing them. I went for dark oak but it is still too light, I wanted a really dark (almost blacky brown) colour! Does anyone have any recommendations? I've just bought my first house and we're total novices so all help appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome miller :D :D :D
try a second or even third coat on a hidden area as each coat builds on the last

pine will never look right if you try and go to far as its a white/light wood
to make it dark enough you may hide all the grain and features

Thanks big-all. I have already done two coats and will try one more! Can I use a darker varnish colour for the third coat? I'm not sure how dark they go as this was the darkest they had in the shop! Will have to move that sofa again :(

Sponsored Links
Try some teak colour.

Pine is a soft wood, so expect that the dark finish even when sealed with a hard varnish will get damaged and that the damage could end up showing the pine virgin finish.

So a ban on stilettos and hob nailed boots will be mandatory.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back