Floorboard Gaps - Recommended Filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon all.

As I'm going to sand, stain & varnish the whole of the first floor, I'm looking for a filler that remains flexible enough for this particular application.

Back in 2005, I filled the gaps in the kitchen floor with a powder filler that was added to water. This began to crack around a year ago.
Earlier this year, I prepared a bedroom floor ready for sanding and used a mixture of pva & sawdust. This looked fine until some of the floorboards themselves began to crack open, with some of the gaps also opening up. I subsequently removed the pva/sawdust 'filler' every second/third board (with a circular saw) and re-filled with a ' flexible, ready mixed filler with good adhesion and flexibility, that can be stained, varnished or painted...' A couple of weeks later this also began to part from the boards... :confused: :mad: :(

I'd really appreciate if anyone could recommend something suitable.

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Why fill gaps they look awful filled :idea:
If you don't want gaps take them up and push tighter turning them over as you go to reduce sanding.

Thanks for the replies foxhole & ladylola.

If I’d known the trouble I was going to have, I might have considered lifting the boards; unfortunately, the underside of quite a few of the boards have been damaged by shoddy central heating fitters (smashing the tongue & grooves out :eek: rather than using a floor board saw or similar) so I’d still need to use a filler afterwards. Have to say that when stained & varnished, the floor looks neat without unsightly gaps (better for keeping drafts out too).

I’ve already used strips of matching timber in the en-suite to the same bedroom but they too have parted in places :( .

On the point of parting/splitting, I can’t quite get my head around as to why, as we’re coming into summer when I assume the boards should be expanding if anything, not contracting… .

Still, I’m sure there’s a product out there that someone's used that will fit the bill.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies foxhole & ladylola.

If I’d known the trouble I was going to have, I might have considered lifting the boards; unfortunately, the underside of quite a few of the boards have been damaged by shoddy central heating fitters (smashing the tongue & grooves out :eek: rather than using a floor board saw or similar) so I’d still need to use a filler afterwards. Have to say that when stained & varnished, the floor looks neat without unsightly gaps (better for keeping drafts out too).

I’ve already used strips of matching timber in the en-suite to the same bedroom but they too have parted in places :( .

On the point of parting/splitting, I can’t quite get my head around as to why, as we’re coming into summer when I assume the boards should be expanding if anything, not contracting… .

Still, I’m sure there’s a product out there that someone's used that will fit the bill.
If you have T&G then should be no draughts.?
Personally I think filled boards look unsightly compared to unfilled.
See above.My unfilled T&G.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back