Floorboard question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just lifted the floor carpet in our hallway (bungalow) to have a look at the floorboards. The floorboards are floating I believe. There was straight diagonal lump under the carpet and I assumed someone had nailed on a board to strengthen the horizontal running boards once of which was very squidgy. I have now revealed, 1 rotten floor board, maybe woodworm as I can see the tiny holes, just in the this board and its gone all soft, but diagonally is a strip of concrete. What is this. The boards are cut around the concrete and I dont know where it stops and starts as it dissapears under the wall to our lounge and the otherside continues too under the door frame. Is this a strengthening mechanism for the floor of the house or have I uncovered something else. We were hoping to strip and stain the floorboards in the hallway but maybe not now.

Sponsored Links
Bit difficult to follow what you mean from your description but it sounds like the top of the floor boards are level with the top of the concrete strip. You also mention the floorboards are floating. Do you mean a "floating floor" which is a timber floor laid on top of a concrete slab.

The raised section of concrete could be anything, I'd guess that it may have services in it like a gas pipe or cable ducting. As for the rotting floor board get it checked out by a timber specialst.

HTH

Alan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back