Floorboard removal

I know I'm a bit out of touch with re-wires but I wouldn't have thought there are many "virgin" floor boards left?

Surely houses from the 60s/70s are likely to have "virgin floorboards". My parents house dates from the mid 60's and I know they've never had more than 1 job done in that time that meant lifting any boards.

Sponsored Links
If it's only likely to be a one off job, it's probably not worth buying any special tools.

The cheapest way of doing it easily is to mark a straight line in the middle of where the joist is.

With a drill and small bit, about 3mm, drill a series of holes along the line. Then repeat at different angles so that the drill cuts the floorboard in to two. Only go deep enough to go through the board.

Use a thin but strong wallpaper stripper, tapping with a hammer to finally cut through the cut and also along the two tongues.

To get any nails out you need to dig around each nail, until you can get a pair of pliers to ease it out a bit at a time.

If you were doing it every day, you would get the tools required.

With a drill and small bit, about 3mm, drill a series of holes along the line. Then repeat at different angles so that the drill cuts the floorboard in to two. Only go deep enough to go through the board.
And hope that there are no water pipes notched into the top of the joist.... ;)

To get any nails out you need to dig around each nail, until you can get a pair of pliers to ease it out a bit at a time.
Pincers would be better, no?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back