Circuits triped. now what

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Using the circular saw from the power supply in the garage, I cut through the cable (first time I have ever cut through a cable).
So the circuit has tripped (nice to know it does what its designed to). Now cant get power in garage. The circuit tripped the garage supply that's on the main circuit board.
The breaker in the garage, I cant get the lights breaker to go on & I have no power in garage.
What should I be looking for?

Attachments

• FUSE brd.jpg
    FUSE brd.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 204
  • garage.jpg
    garage.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 171
Sponsored Links
Could you perhaps explain exactly what cable you cut and exactly what device(s) tripped when you did?

Kind Regards, John

I cut through the circular saw cable, that was plugged into the garage supply.
The garage supply on the main circuit that's in the house tripped.
I thought it was the one in the garage but I am not sure if they did or didn't.

I cut through the circular saw cable, that was plugged into the garage supply.
The garage supply on the main circuit that's in the house tripped. I thought it was the one in the garage but I am not sure if they did or didn't.
OK. Do I take it that you reset the "Garage" breaker in your main CU? Sometimes, one has to push those levers down firmly, as far as they will go, into the 'off' position before they will reset properly when pushed back up - so you could try that, and likewise with the ones in the garage.

I don't really understand why you can't reset the lights breaker in the garage, and nor do I understand when/why that tripped (since you don't seem to have done anything to the lighting circuit).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I have tried to push firmly, no joy. Too dark now will try again tomorrow. Thanks for advice.

Your picture shows the mcb in your garage consumer unit are both off. Reset the lighting one by pushing down then back up. Push the socket one up.

Your picture shows the mcb in your garage consumer unit are both off. Reset the lighting one by pushing down then back up. Push the socket one up.
Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought the OP was saying that he had followed my suggestion to push down and then back up, and that the lighting one would not stay up (and the sockets one might not be fully 'up' in the piccie, either).

I'm still not clear as to why the lighting one was 'off' in the first place, nor whether he had tried pushing down/up on the garage' MCB in the main CU. Perhaps we'll learn some more tomorrow.

Kind Regards, John

JohnW2 Yes I had followed your instructions, I have also just done it again to all breakers.
No idea why the lightning is off, as lights were all ok, I have switched all lights/pir's etc that are on that circuit to off.
My thought are that the main breaker in the house now has a fault & maybe the lighting one has.
I have contacted an electrician I will let him sort it.

JohnW2 Yes I had followed your instructions, I have also just done it again to all breakers. No idea why the lightning is off, as lights were all ok, I have switched all lights/pir's etc that are on that circuit to off. My thought are that the main breaker in the house now has a fault & maybe the lighting one has. I have contacted an electrician I will let him sort it.
Thanks for clarifying.

There are certainly aspects of what you are experiencing/reporting which don't seem to make a lot of sense, so it is probably very sensible that you are going to get an electrician to diagnose and sort out the problem.

It would be good if you could let us know what the electrician discovers.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for clarifying.

There are certainly aspects of what you are experiencing/reporting which don't seem to make a lot of sense, so it is probably very sensible that you are going to get an electrician to diagnose and sort out the problem.

It would be good if you could let us know what the electrician discovers.

Kind Regards, John
Will Do.

Electrician has been. Both breakers had failed.
All up & running now.

Not surprising as far as the Protek one goes. I have come across several broken breakers from them over the years.

But both? A bit odd.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back