Circuit Breakers and cut cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After dropping the cable of my hedge trimmers onto the blades the 20amp circuit breaker in the house supplying the garage tripped, but not the 20 amp circuit breaker in the garage. Pics of house and garage attached. Should the garage have tripped first? View media item 67084 View media item 67085

Sponsored Links
I would of hoped that your RCD would also have tripped ;)
But in terms of your two MCB's its pot luck - one might be slightly more sensitive to the other.

If you put two breakers of the same or similar rating one after the other than it's going to be pretty much random which one trips first. Even with breakers of very different sizes it's not unheard of for more than one breaker to trip in the event of a high current short circuit.

I would of hoped that your RCD would also have tripped ;)
Well, you never know, the hedge trimmer may possibly have been plugged into an RCD socket or plug-in RCD :)

The OP obviousl ought to have RCD protection, particularly for outdoor tools. However, things like hedge trimmers are usually Class II, with 2-core flex, so unless the live cut end (or the blade which chops the cable) comes into contact with earth, one would not expect an RCD to operate when one chops through the cable, even if there were one!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
THANKS to all of you for your help. (The plug in RCD is now an ex RCD- it has ceased to be...)

Not when it's on a 20A supply from an MCB in another CU.

Sockets directly on the 20A radial, FCU for the lights.

At the house end, a 20A cartridge fuse would stand a better chance of discriminating with what's in the plug than a CB . This may stop the house side from tripping, and won't cost you much.

You also need less current to blow a 20A BS88 in 5s than to blow a B20 in 5s, so it shouldn't affect the circuit design detrimentally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back