B6 circuit breaker

It’s a normal hot tub, we had an electrician fit an outside commando socket. This has not been the issue the breaker switch has always been tripped when I used the power wash. I have been in the house from new for about 17 years. I have just bought a band saw which works fine from the socket but the vacuum (hoover , I’m old school) which is new and I want to use to extract the saw dust keeps tripping. I know it’s not the vacuum as I have had the same issue with other devices.
The person that fitted it though looks like they used an MK MCB when they should perhaps have used a Legrand to match the others though so it points to not being an ideal install - I hope i'm wrong.

Sponsored Links
8593FD23-A93E-4275-A9AF-687C9D877F5D.jpeg
This is the consumer unit from the house if that helps.

I could replace my with legrand but apart fro looking neat would there be another reason to swap it?

View attachment 222012 This is the consumer unit from the house if that helps.
Yes! It shows that your garage circuits are RCD protected! This is a good thing.
It shows that the circuit to the garage is limited to 16amps, Which means that the two 16A MCBs in the garage consumer units have no function except as functional on/off switches.

But, at least, we know a bit more now. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
To comply with current regulations - you shouldn't really have mixed MCBs in a Consumer unit, it's not disastrous . I'll wait before any further comments until you post internal photos of DB2 at the Garage.

So my hot tub is safe then. So What’s your opinion on the mk breaker would you change it to a legrand?

There is no discrimination between the 16amp at the supply end and the 16amp at the garage for the hot tub, so if one trips, either one could trip.

Similar problem with the two RCD's, but not disastrous, just inconvenient.

Just found this which made me laugh and stopped my paranoia regarding one of my previous posts:
Hoover vs. vacuum
For the electrical appliance that cleans surfaces through suction, North Americans tend to use vacuum cleaner, or just vacuum, and Britons tend to use hoover. Both words also function as verbs, inflected vacuumed, vacuuming, hoovered, and hoovering. By metaphorical extension, hoover also means to consume completely. It’s usually followed by the preposition up. When you are very hungry, for example, you might hoover up your dinner. Vacuum isn’t commonly used this way.

There is no discrimination between the 16amp at the supply end and the 16amp at the garage for the hot tub, so if one trips, either one could trip.

Similar problem with the two RCD's, but not disastrous, just inconvenient.
There's only one RCD from the information I've read from Mr T but not good, just wonder what size cable serves the Garage as it will probably be better to have that on a new Legrand B20 if it's 2.5mm T&E. Then move the B16 to the garage

There's only one RCD from the information I've read from Mr T but not good, just wonder what size cable serves the Garage as it will probably be better to have that on a new Legrand B20 if it's 2.5mm T&E. Then move the B16 to the garage

The RCD at his mains is a 30mA, protecting several circuits including the garage feed, plus a built into the flexible one according to Mr T at the tub.

Yes, it is a Legrand 16amp, so a good solution to move that out to the garage and replace with a B20 at the main DB.

The hot tub is classed as a plug and play and was supplied with an RCD 3 pin. This was changed to the commando plug for a safer connection outdoors.

Not myself the hot tub installer. It came as I said to be plug and play if needed. Obviously when they surveyed it prior to instillation they were happy with the RCD from the main consumer unit. The particular hot tub was unique having a 3 pin so this is an optional connection. It’s a 2/3 person hot tub so does not use the power of the larger ones. Surely you would agree a commando socket is safer.

The RCDs fitted on hot tubs are often 10mA trip, i.e. 3 times as sensitive as ones in your CU. There is a reason for this - your safety. It should not have been removed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back