Floorboard tongue and groove - advice re. size/type

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 1960's house and some of the floorboards need replacing prior to amtico installer coming and plying/glueing. Please bear with me as a diy novice.

Some of the boards are cupped some are split and some have holes (probably about 15-20% need replaced rest are sound)

From my measurements the boards are 20mm bang on depth 144mm width. is that a standard size, my builder from previous works said standard thickness is 18 or 22mm?

The closed I can find is size wise is https://www.travisperkins.co.uk/pla...ing-5th-25x150-fin-size-20-5-x-144mm/p/181003

so thats .5 mm too thick and would need sanding/planing ? which I definitely don't want to be doing. or would it be you wouldnt notice (am aware floor needs to be level for plying/amtico)

also if it would work is it decent/good enough to replace the current floorboards. (confused by the options of soft/hard/red wood so photo of mine included)

any advice or suggestions, unfortunately Im very time (and skill) limited but need to try and sort before installer comes.

cheers, (asking here as cant get to TP and would need to be delivered plus got great advice before)

upload_2021-11-9_20-43-12.png

upload_2021-11-9_20-44-38.png

Sponsored Links
144 is ex 153/6" as its the preworked size
is 144 the coverage [top surface ]or including the tounge ??
take a sample with you to t/p to have it matched up but they are very very expensive without at least 60% discount

18 or 22mm? It depends on the yard and their supplier. TBH there really is no such thing as a "standard" size for floor boards with everyone machining an ex-6 x 1in to their own finished dimensions (remember, there was no such thing as metric in timber prior to the mid-1970s, so 3/4in back then generally ex-1in often finished either 3/4in aka 19mm or 7/8in aka 22.2mm - although different yards did different things). This sort of thing still causes problems today if we get a change of supplier mid way through a big job

Best thing is therefore to take along a sample, but even if you get a match on the width and thickness you may well find that the tongues and grooves are different sizes. You may need to be prepared to pack-up boards (to get the surface level), cut the tongues off and "boiler plate" where new boards meet old and even to lay a skin of 4mm plywood over the top of the boards and put down a skim of SLC to get a smooth, flat surface. What does your floorer say? TBH if the floor isn't absolutely horrendous I'd be looking to screw downd any loose boards, plane or sand out the worst of the cupping and then sccrewing down a thin layer of plywood (at 150mm centres) to work off - faster, possibly cheaper and a lot less work

I'd also avoid Travis - without an account they can be ridiculously expensive. Better to find a local joinery firm who also sell timber and who may be able to sell you boards thicknessed to the exact size you require if you go that way

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back