i want to put floorboards in my living room,
but it is a concrete floor .
can i put them down as a flooting floor or do i have to baten the concrete
floor then nail floor boards to the batens,
or is their another way to do it.

any info would be great

cheers steptoe

Sponsored Links
It would mean the floor level would be a lot higher plus cutting bottom of door approx 2" to 3".It would be easier to use floating laminated flooring as it is thinner and you can also get real wood which you can't tell the difference.

There is no reason why you couldn't lay it as a floating floor on a layer of insulation but you would have to glue every tongue and clamp it all up and the end of each board would not be fully supported except by the insulation. To batten the floor and insulate in between and fix to the battens will be a much better way to lay the floor.

Sponsored Links
HI Steptoe,
I have recently done exactly what you have stated. I put T&G floorboards in my hall with a concrete floor below.
All I did was put down a damp proof membrane as the insulation and laid the boards down as a floating floor. All is ok and there isn't too much movement.
Just watch out for beveled boards as these will cause big movement when they are tread on.

Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back