Sound Proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am at the stage now where we are getting closer to putting the ceilings up and floor boards down. One of the plasterers suggested putting RockWool in the floorboards for extra sound insulation.

The only easy way of doing that (on a 1st floor) I can see if by putting up the plasterboard from the bottom them removing the floor boards from the top then stuffing it in.

But we don't want to have to remove the floorboards really.
Is there a safe way to almost net the RockWool in place?
May i'll just leave it if its alot of hassle.

Cheers
Paul

Sponsored Links
Just use a bit of wire or even string stapled on the bottom of each joist, it only has to keep it there till you get the boards up.

BTW Knauf acoustic floor roll would be a lot better as its more dense. Rockwool is OK but not very dense.

B&Q don't sell it, they sell Knuaf loft insulation but that is not the same thing Knauf Acoustic roll.

Sponsored Links
I'm doing similar right now, having pulled down an old ceiling.

From all the reading I've done, for best sound insulation, and not huge cost, use resilient bars on the ceilings (they screw into the joists and you screw the plasterboard into them)

http://www.selcobw.com/gtec-resilient-bar-3m (Selco sell acoustic rolls fairly cheaply too if you have one near you)

e.g http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pYp-W-6AGyg/UHxt57GKrUI/AAAAAAAAAQw/pMLuUBVYto0/s1600/2012-10-12-496.jpg

I'm putting these up, along with acoustic insulation (which sit nicely on the resilient bars) and now need to put the plasterboard up (which is a PITA by yourself)

Resilient bars reduce the noise transmission traveling through the joists between floors. Also a good carpet / heavy underlay will all help with the sound travelling between floors.

I'm doing similar right now, having pulled down an old ceiling.

From all the reading I've done, for best sound insulation, and not huge cost, use resilient bars on the ceilings (they screw into the joists and you screw the plasterboard into them)

http://www.selcobw.com/gtec-resilient-bar-3m (Selco sell acoustic rolls fairly cheaply too if you have one near you)

e.g http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-pYp-W-6AGyg/UHxt57GKrUI/AAAAAAAAAQw/pMLuUBVYto0/s1600/2012-10-12-496.jpg

I'm putting these up, along with acoustic insulation (which sit nicely on the resilient bars) and now need to put the plasterboard up (which is a PITA by yourself)

Resilient bars reduce the noise transmission traveling through the joists between floors. Also a good carpet / heavy underlay will all help with the sound travelling between floors.

Wow that looks great thats what I want to do Ill show my Dad tonight and there is one in Reading!

Wow that looks great thats what I want to do Ill show my Dad tonight and there is one in Reading!

n.b for Selco you are meant to be "in the trade" - I joined after printing a business letter head at home ;)

Don't go out of your way for them.. take into account time / hassle factor.. ring round local builders yard, or look on ebay even. 3m Bars are £3.15+vat in selco and 50mm 15.6m2 kanuf acoustic roll which you can double up £36.79+Vat

n.b for Selco you are meant to be "in the trade" - I joined after printing a business letter head at home ;)

Don't go out of your way for them.. take into account time / hassle factor.. ring round local builders yard, or look on ebay even. 3m Bars are £3.15+vat in selco and 50mm 15.6m2 kanuf acoustic roll which you can double up £36.79+Vat

My Dad has spoken to our Plasterer he thinks its going to be alot of work to install these so he is trying to (bully) me into not getting it done was it really that hard to do?

It is more work to add the resilient bars. He gives you a quote for the extra time it will take and you decide if you want it done or not.

My Dad has spoken to our Plasterer he thinks its going to be alot of work to install these so he is trying to (bully) me into not getting it done was it really that hard to do?

It wasn't hard at all.. Aside from a little more time there's nothing much to it, just adds one extra step (putting bars to the joists, the plasterboards you have to screw up anyway)

They probably have never used them.. or doesn't want to spend the time on them.. They aren't a common thing you buy for example wickes or bnq so guess most people don't bother with them.

There are other solutions but for me the resilient bars were the easiest to do http://www.soundstop.co.uk/solutions/ceiling_access/ceiling_comparison.php

Perhaps post in the Plastering section and see what opinions they have / and other solutions? I guess in part it depends on the purpose of the house, i.e to live in / rent or sell and how much trouble you want to go to.

It wasn't hard at all.. Aside from a little more time there's nothing much to it, just adds one extra step (putting bars to the joists, the plasterboards you have to screw up anyway)

They probably have never used them.. or doesn't want to spend the time on them.. They aren't a common thing you buy for example wickes or bnq so guess most people don't bother with them.

There are other solutions but for me the resilient bars were the easiest to do http://www.soundstop.co.uk/solutions/ceiling_access/ceiling_comparison.php

Perhaps post in the Plastering section and see what opinions they have / and other solutions? I guess in part it depends on the purpose of the house, i.e to live in / rent or sell and how much trouble you want to go to.

My Dad did say that some of the joists are different widths so not sure why they would make a lot harder. He was complaining it was going to cost more but can't imagine it will cost that much more. Ive emailed the original plasterer who recommended the idea.

I would never work with my Dad again on a house he is like a grumpy old man... not that im ungrateful but if its not his way he just wont listen. Even though its not his house lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back