Sound proofing party wall - how much am I looking at?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, im planning to have this work done in order to sound proof a party wall. I understand that work will need to be done in the floor as well (we plan to fill any voids with rockwool). So im just wondering how much I should budget for the work and also if anyone has any advice to add to my plans! :)

Anyway, this is what I plan to do...

Build a stud wall to come off an existing plastered wall (7030mm x 2450mm). This is a party wall in a semi-detached house. Wall has 5 dual sockets and 4 light fittings which will need to stay (2 of the duals being relocated – see below).

Batten the walls with 2x2, add resilient bar horizontally, fill void with 60mm rockwool, fix plasterboard (2 layers of 12.5mm soundshield, staggered joints) and skim. Leave a gap of 5mm around the perimeter of the wall and fill this void with acoustic sealant.

Relocate 2 x dual plug sockets approx 2 meters diagonally up the wall (for TV).

Relocate Sky and Ariel cables (currently coming in at the side of the house (about 0.5m from where the plugs are that will be relocated).

Skirting boards will need to be removed and replaced.

Coving will need to come off and new coving put up (plaster coving).

Skim wall.

thanks guys!
Dave

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back