Flooring base

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have 2 bedrooms and a hallway where the floorboards have been removed and are in poor condition so I want to replace with new.

Is 18mm plywood OK to use screwed regularly at every joist?

Local merchants are doing a good deal on 18mm ply at the moment and I thought it would be as good as anything else. Any reason not to use it?

Sponsored Links
It's much better than chipboard.

Put struts (noggins) under all unsupported edges.

Perfect thanks

If cut to land on joists do you need to put noggins in between joists width ways ie between 400mm centered joists? O had assumed not?

Sponsored Links
Yes where sheets meet perpendicular to the joists, if you don't you get a bit of differential movement at the joints, gives you creaking and lines in carpet or other floor covering.
Plus nogging the floor joists (assuming there aren't any at the moment) will stiffen the floor up generally.
If you can't be ars*d with nogging you can just plate the joints with ply offcuts, they won't stiffen the floor but will stop the differential movement

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back